Welcome to No Waste Kitchen! I’m so glad to have you here.
But you may be asking yourself, what does “No Waste Kitchen” mean? And is this part of the “Zero Waste” movement or something different?
It’s hard to find an exact definition of “No Waste” since most places use the term “Zero Waste”. Because of this, we’re going to borrow the “Zero Waste” definition. Here are some
Generating little or no wastehttps://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zero-waste
Environmental Protection Agency
…recognizes a Hierarchy of Material Management as follows:
– Extended Producer Responsibility and Product Redesignhttps://www.epa.gov/transforming-waste-tool/how-communities-have-defined-zero-waste
– Reduce Waste, Toxicity, Consumption, and Packaging
– Repair, Reuse and Donate
– Down Cycle and Beneficial Reuse
– Waste-Based Energy as disposal
– Landfill Waste as disposal
Working Definition of No Waste
The idea of “No Waste” is something that you need to define for yourself and your family.
Zero Waste would mean eliminating all waste from your kitchen. Everything. This includes no more trash bags, but also nothing going in the recycle, either. True Zero Waste would mean using, upcycling, or composting every single thing that comes into the kitchen.
But now, let’s be realistic. In today’s world, that’s extremely difficult. Some will have better access to resources than others. Some will have more challenges such as allergies that they have to work with.
For this reason, I like the terms “No Waste” as it seems to be a little more forgiving. We aren’t perfect and it’s almost impossible to be perfect. While we are trying to cut all waste from the kitchen, the first priority should be no actual waste going to the landfill.
What is No Waste Kitchen?
- No Waste Kitchen is about working towards a lifestyle change.
- No Waste Kitchen is reducing the amount of waste your kitchen produces. This includes waste going to the landfill and recycling center.
- No Waste Kitchen operates under the idea that even small changes can make a big difference.
- No Waste Kitchen means choosing more sustainable options for your home and your family. Single-use products cost more and are hard for the environment.
- No Waste Kitchen helps you make healthier choices rather by cutting out over-packaged, over-processed foods.
- No Waste Kitchen understands that not everything is black and white, but most of us fit in the grey area.
Since every person, every family, every home, and every location is different, it helps to set realistic personal and family goals. Remember, no one is perfect, and change doesn’t happen overnight.
The idea of No Waste Kitchen is to help you work towards reducing the amount of waste that your kitchen puts out on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
Now, it’s your turn. Define No Waste Kitchen for you and your household. Set your own goals and see what you can do to works towards them every day.
Maybe it helps to have your goals written and posted in the kitchen. Or it may be beneficial to write down your “why” and keep that at hand.
Every home, every family, every person will have a different journey. Take a few minutes and define the journey that you would like to take in the pursuit of a No Waste Kitchen.
If you want to save time and get started on your journey, make sure to sign up below to get your free Welcome Kit. The kit guides you through this process, and provides you the foundation for a No Waste Kitchen.